Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Final 10 - Bonus Picks

Time to get the bonus picks in. Remember - you have 15 total points you have to distribute to 3 contestants (each contestant must have at least one point). Picks must be in before the show tonight.
Some people said that some of the pictures from yesterday's post weren't showing up. I think I fixed it - so you should be able to scroll down and enjoy them in their full glory.

On to last night's performances ...

Ramiele - sounded like crap to me. I doubt she is going to go though. She has some sort of deal with the mafia.

Castro - Dear Team IdolSmith, I know how much you love Jason Castro. I believe he is a nice guy. You are right, he probably doesn't smoke pot. He is a nice Christian boy. However, I will still make fun of him for smoking pot - not so much because smoking pot is funny - but because people who smoke a lot of pot are funny. They have delayed reaction time. They don't seem to care about much. They always have this goofy smile on their face. Some of them have nappy hair. Not only does that describe Jason Castro - but it describes his performance last night.

Syesha - I was right about all of those weeks when Syesha couldn't really hit the notes. The last two weeks, however, she has done some very nice singin'. I think Simon hit the nail on the head, though, when he said that there were limits to her vocals. That dude is smart.

Chikezie - It took me a record 3.6 seconds to fall asleep to this one.

Brooke - Her voice sounded good on this song - but I don't think it was that great overall. I agree with the judges that the band sounded corny when they came in. However, there wasn't much to her piano part and it was getting old very quickly. I think it was right for the band to come in - just not in the way they did. If Blake Lewis was doing it, he would have had the band arrange some cool groove to the song to give it some dynamics. It sounds like they just took the first beat they could find on GarageBand and used it for Brooke. At least she didn't have as many awkward glances at the camera.

Michael Johns - I really like this guys voice. Sure the song medley seemed a little self-indulgent, but coming from Michael you knew that he just felt that he had to do something a bit more showy. If it was David Cook it would have been a different story. Mrs. Commissioner was very pleased.

Carly Smithson - I spent the whole performance trying to explain to Mrs. Commissioner what was wrong with it. She likes Carly and thinks that she wants to win more than anyone else. I think that might be true. I just keep saying that her voice is good, but she is completely unrelatable. I realized last night that much of it is just her facial expressions. She always looks like she is really into it, then she will open her eyes and she is looking up at the ceiling with a possessed look - much like Eddie Vedder's facial expression as he puts the "gun" to his head while singing "Jeremy" - spooky. I am surprised I haven't had any nightmares yet with Carly looking at me that way. It is sad that that has to be a factor - but it just does.

David Archuleta - What in the world was that song? Sure he can sing but I don't want to hear anyone sing songs like that. Simon was completely right about that being the kind of song you sing with animals running around you at a theme park. I am just glad Archie wasn't born the year of "We Are The World" or "Dear Mr. Jesus".

Kristy Lee Cook - One of the first CDs I ever purchased was Lee Greenwood's Greatest Hits. I was a loser in high school. Kristy might as well have been wearing my American flag jacket last night. It really was a great song choice for someone who wants to stay in the competition. Too bad she had to sell her soul to sing it.

David Cook - I have mixed feelings about this one. He really did a great job of singing. That note he held out might have been my favorite vocal moment so far this season. That is hard for me to say. However, the judges were talking about how original he is and it was driving me crazy. Ryan Seacrest even said in the introduction that it was Chris Cornell's version of that song. It sounded like Chris Cornell (just not quite as awesome). Sure David did a good job with it, but don't give him credit for the arrangement. He did the same thing with Elanor Rigby - ripping off someone else's version and not really giving them credit for it. If you want to talk about original - Blake Lewis is the guy. The idea that David doesn't have any problem taking credit for the originality of the performance kind of bothers me. But man he really is pretty good.

One last thing. WTF was Paula wearing? I am beginning to think that the judges are like the cast of Weekend at Bernie's. Randy and Simon are alive - just dragging around this lifeless corpse of Paula Abdul, pulling a string in her back and making her say nonsensical phrases like "That was ... you are ... well, you know how much greatness ... you should be proud." And if she says "brilliant" one more time I will have to get a new TV because my current one will have a steak knife sticking out of the middle of it.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

T35 thoughts on last night:

Davie Archie sang a song made famous in CCM circles by Ms. Rebecca St. James. Prof B will know this as he probably reviewed that record many moons ago (and loved it). I couldn't get the song outta my head after watching the show, so I had to listen to the new Raconteur album b4 bed. Mmmm.

What was up with the freaking TV audio mix last night? The band was mixed so far back, it was painful to listen to the out-front vocals. And of course, the band mix during the recaps at the end of the show was perfectly normal. I hope the guy in the audio truck gets a stern lecture. Awful...

We couldn't agree more about David C seemingly taking credit for yet another arrangement. I wish he weren't so good so that I could validate my contempt.

Good thoughts on Carly, Commissioner. Who in their right mind wants to WATCH her sing? There's a reason she was bottom 3 last week. And wanting it that badly? Not attractive either.


Our pix:

10. Ramielle
4. Chikeze
1. Carly

profB said...

Yeah--she wants it so badly 'cause she had it and, $2 million later, lost it. Oof. I still don't get her, though I liked her vocal last night (but hate that song).

As for me giving an RSJ record a good review, that's possible, but it musta been one Team 35 didn't A&R . . . Archie's gotta pick better songs--Phil Collins + trying to take on a Stevie Wonder cover of the Beatles + that = ick.

8 Ramiele
5 KKKristy
2 Chikeze

Thaddeus Glapp said...

9-Ramiele
5-Chikezie
1-Carly

I really like Carly but last night's performance was just...odd. I think she's trying too hard.

The Dahlgrens said...

*PG-13 Comment Alert*

All we could think of last night during Carly's performance was the version of that song from The Wedding Singer:

"I f***ing need you now tonight, I f***ing need you more than ever"

and it didn't take too much imagination to picture her singing that....

6- Carly
6-Chickeze
3-Ramielle

Unknown said...

6 Chekezie
6 Ramiele
3 Kristy Lee

On my way to the Grand Canyon, later!

Julie Adkison said...

My my my. The Commish is on quite the rant! Perhaps he and Mr. SimonSays need some anger management to deal with these Paula Abdul issues??

I was all singin the praises of Davy Cook too and then Mrs. tjsmith told me that it wasn't his arrangement.......sigh.........but he still IS good.

I thought we'd be the only ones putting Ramiele down as most likely to go. Guess we aren't the only ones who are BORED by her. Mrs. Seacrest Out told me that Ramiele has the "little girl" vote (daughter Seacrest Out votes for her!).

Anyway, here's what it'll look like:

6 Ramiele
5 Chikeze
4 Castro (sorry tjsmith)

Amightywin! said...

6-Ramiele
5-Chekezie
4-Carly

Zebra Fight said...

5. Carly
5. Chikieze
5. Ramiele

Leftcoaster said...

7 - chiki
5 - carly
3 - rami

i'm just glad michael and syesha finally showed up. :)

The PaulaTics said...

6. Chikezie
6. Ramiele
3. Carly

Team Hasselhoff said...

Syesha was a new person last night! Much like Team35, we harbor some unexplainable dislike for David Cook. There were some great moments last night... nothing like Melinda or Blake, but it got a little easier to watch... except for Paula, that does not get easier.

we are going all in to see if we can rise from the ruins..

13 ramiele
1 chikeze
1 carly

Seacrest Out! said...

6 - Chikeze
6 - Ramiele
3 - Kristy Lee Cook

Yo-Yo Dawg said...

8-ram
7-chick
0-carly

God Bless the USA!

The Indiananans said...

9-Ramiele
5-Chikezie
1-Kristy Lee

Melissa Broadwell said...

8. Ramielle
5. Chickezie
2. Carly

Bessie Moo said...

7-Chikezie
5-Ramiele
3-Jason (I still love him...)

Signing out from the hills of eastern KY...

Team Shivers said...

5. Ramiele
5. Chikezie
5. Carly

Team Shivers said...

5. Ramiele
5. Chikezie
5. Carly

TJ Smith said...

8 Chikezie
6 Ramielle
4 Carly

Dear Mr. Commissioner, Thanks for clearing up the issue on why you thought Jason inhales...its all very understandable. All this time, I just thought his delayed reaction time, goofy smile, laid back personality, (not to mention nappy hair) was just a Texas thing or maybe even an Aries thing… didn't he say yesterday was his birthday? hmmm

Now a word to Mrs. SimonSays….why you wanna go and lose 4 points just like that? You just wasted those 4 points that could have gone to Ramielle or Chikezie.

Now, excuse me, while I go open up a bag of my new favorite snack food (Cheetos) and get ready to watch the show… .YEUH!

(PS: the super cool part of IdolSmith claims no part in all this Castro bantering)

TJ Smith said...

Oops, I promise I'm wasn't smoking as I did my math..let me do this again..

8 Chikezie
6 Ramielle
1 Carly

IDOL said...

So the Enforcer himself says he posted his bonus picks yesterday - but for some reason they didn't register. His co-workers can verify his picks. But since I am allowing this late entry, he has to have the same punishment as anyone else who submits late picks - he must be harassed by The Enforcer. So here are the bonus picks from Sanjaya Rocks and they should be followed shortly by some comments by Sanjaya Rocks that are supposed to make Sanjaya Rocks cry.

7. Ramiele
7. Chikezie
1. Carly

R R said...

As the Enforcer, I must express my opinion on this blatant disregard of the rules that have been made clear to us time and time again. There is no excuse that is worthy of any sympathy or favor from the Commissioner or Mrs Commissioner. Although, It is not my wish to take any points away from Sanjaya Rocks, I do strongly disagree with his late post. Boo freaking hoo!