Wednesday, April 9, 2008

FINAL 8 - BONUS PICKS

Update: Get Picks In By Thursday Night's Show
due to Idol Gives Back

Inspirational music sucks.


Time for them bonus picks. You have 15 points to divide among three contestants - giving at least one point to each of them.

When I got home last night Mrs. Commish warned me that the show wasn't good. She said Johnsie didn't even do it for her - whatever that means. What did we expect from a week of inspirational music?

When I watched Johnsie kick it off - I didn't think it was as bad as Mrs. Commish thought it was. I thought he did a good job - and if he was later in the night the judges would have liked him more because he didn't have a bunch of competition. I did notice that Outback Johns is becoming a bit more cheesy. He said something like, "See, dreams really do come true." That is just as bad as holding his fingers up for his voting number. This competition is getting to him.

Then we had Syesha once again perform a song from an artist much better than she is. She did a decent job but it might not be good enough. The best part was when she basically slammed the other girls in the competition saying that Ramiele was the "only one who really got me."

Then Jason Castweed sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I thought it was good. I just couldn't stop wondering why he was wearing my Grandma's sweater and women's pants. I will say that - in comparison to Brooke - he can actually keep time on an instrument. He was a drummer after all. When Jason was done singing I said, "That wasn't bad." Then Mrs. Commish responded, "Yeah, but wait until you see how bad the judges shat themselves over it." (Disclaimer: she was a bit stressed and worn out last night from a long day. That usually makes her pretty saucy.)

Kristy was next. When I found out that she was going to sing Anyway from Martina McBride, I was sure that this would be the nail in the coffin. Martina sings the crap out of that song. I asked Mrs. Commish if I was about to watch a train wreck. She told me it wasn't that bad. Then I said, "Well, does she do her Saddle Squat?" She said, "Yep, she does the Country Crouch." I didn't realize we had two different names for the same dance move. Well, not only did Kristy do a passable version of the song (we all have lower standards for her performances) but she really did look like she was singing something she believed in for the first time. That was refreshing to see.

Then David Cook gave a Belmont Showcase-worthy performance of Innocent. By Belmont Showcase-worthy I mean taking yourself way too seriously trying to sing a song with an inspirational message while wearing some ridiculous performance outfit. I loved watching Simon look down at the monitor in his desk while Davy was giving us the hand, telling us to give back. Simon laughed at the absurdity of it (as you can see in the picture above). We thought Davy's vocals at the beginning of the song were really bad and then it only improved to a moderate butt-rocker voice. Not very impressive Sonny Crockett.

Carly came out wearing those high-waisted pants again so I had to just listen to the rest of The Show Must Go On with my eyes closed. I thought this week was inspirational week. I don't get much inspiration from the message that things suck but you still have to work anyways. I know that isn't the point, but it just felt less like inspiration and more like a substitute teacher who was finally pushed over the edge by that last spitball.

Archie seemed a bit nervous at first playing the piano but he settled into it and gave a typical performance for him. Not bad. Of course the judges liked it. Some girl in the audience was holding a sign that said "Lick those lips". There is no way I would let my little girl hold that sign. Even stranger than the sign was Simon's comment that Angels was one of the greatest pop songs ever written. I usually agree with everything that Simon says, but I completely disagree with him on this one. He wondered why that song was never huge over here - well, it was big enough to hear on the radio all the time. It annoyed me then and it annoys me now.

We ended the evening with Brooke. That song is inspirational in the 8th grade on the last night of a youth group snow-skiing retreat in a room full of candles. Last night it just looked like Brooke was in pain from over-sincerity.

26 comments:

The Dahlgrens said...

13- Carly
1- Syesha
1-Brooke

profB said...

LMAO at the Commish's running commentary and dialog with Mrs. Trashmouth. Ooh--will there be cursing on Mrs. Commish's next record??

Kristy really sand the crap outta that song last night--gotta hand it to her. Now that I'm not giving her bonus points, she'll of course get the axe. Sigh. The real low point of the night was David Cook's grating performance, topped by the 'hand to the camera' moment. Gross. Almost as gross as the lick your lips sign. Stay classy, folks.

Carly- 7
Michael- 4
Syesha- 4

Can I give a point to David Cook just for being heinous? Don't think he's going anywhere, but really.

Yay cursing!!

Amightywin! said...

Carly::7
Syesha::7
Michael::1

Melissa Broadwell said...

Well, we are totally guessing at this today because we missed the show last night and, no, we don't have TiVo...

5-Syesha
5-Jason
5-Carly

Leftcoaster said...

c'mon cook. u got to bring it better than that...

10 - carly
3 - brooke
2 - syesha

who knows...

btw - look for the leftcoast man next week on the show... i haven't decided which sign to take yet...
it's either "give back", "lick my lips" or "cheap weed"

Bessie Moo said...

they won't give the results until tomorrow night will they? Anwyay...

6-Syesha
7-Carly
2-Michael Johnsie :-(

Thaddeus Glapp said...

Bettin' the farm.

13-Carly
1-Syesha
1-David C.

Unknown said...

7 Syesha
7 Carly
1 Kristy Lee

Seacrest Out! said...

13 Carly
1 Syesha
1 Kristy Lee

R R said...

All In!!

13- Carly
1- Syesha
1-Brooke

The Indiananans said...

9-Syesha Mercado
5-Carly Smithson
1-Kristy Lee Cook

Julie Adkison said...

We'll be joining the Seacrest Out Agency and go "all in" as Agent Sanjaya put it!

13 Carly
1 Kristy
1 Syesha

(p.s. we love Brooke but are dying laughing about over-sincerity!)

Yo-Yo Dawg said...

11-Carly
2-Syesha
2-Kristy

Julie Adkison said...

posting for IdolSmith:

10 Carly
4 Syesha
1 David Cook

Anonymous said...

8 - Syesha
6 - Carly
1 - David Cook

Zebra Fight said...

7 Brooke
7 Carly
1 Syesha

IDOL said...

Texted Comments ...

Hasselhoff
13. Carly
1. Brooke
1. Someone else

Paulatics
9.Syesha
5.Carly
1.Kristy

TJ Smith said...

Just had a chance to read the fabulous blog... had no idea the Commish was so fashion conscious! Double Snap!

Bessie Moo said...

Oh, the OUTRAGE!!!!! No!!! No, no, no!!!!! Where is the love???

My husband is laughing at me because I am literally sick to my stomach. I didn't not expect him to win or anything... but, come on! And the way they did it was just absolutely cruel. Shame on Ryan Seacrest!

Ok, I feel better now. :-)

TJ Smith said...

I agree Bessie Moo! Total shocker. We are stunned as well! Johnsie was the 2nd fav with us...hopefully he will be like Chris Daughtry and move on......

TJ Smith said...

Also was in shock they sang "Shout to the Lord"! What in the world? I liked it, but was as surprised by that as Michael Johns leaving before Kristy.

R R said...

oh well....

The PaulaTics said...

Shout to the Lord on American Idol was the sign of the apocalypse.... the earth started to quake and Johnsie was it's first victim. He was raptured before he had to do another Ford commercial...

Meanwhile, I will continue to cry as I have less reason to watch the show.

Mrs. Commish

Bessie Moo said...

Yeah, while I LOVE the fact that Shout to the Lord was seen by so many people and Kristy Lee actually seemed to get the message while she was singing... everyone else looked uncomfortable, Johnsie messed up on the words (and it's an Aussie song, Johnsie!), and Carly looked angry the whole time. It was just... odd. But once they all got to singing in harmony I thought it sounded pretty awesome.

I'm still sad...

Thaddeus Glapp said...

What...the...hell.

IDOL said...

From Team Shivers ..

Carly 7
Syesha 5
Brooke 3