Wednesday, April 16, 2008

FINAL 7 - BONUS PICKS

Time to get your bonus picks in. You know the drill - 15 points divided among 3 contestants giving each one at LEAST one point.

The final 7 pose with a life-size Mariah Carey cut-out.

Last night was kind of a night of surprises for me ...
  • I realized that Mariah actually has some artistic credibility.
  • Kristy Lee was one of the strongest female performances of the evening.
  • I didn't like David Cook's song (no surprise) but the judges shat themselves again.
  • Syesha didn't capitalize on Mariah week
  • Brooke didn't use a band (bad choice)
Speaking of Brooke - Mrs. Commish watched the performances before I got home and watched them again with me. She warned me that I might not be able to stand watching Brooke's performance. She knows me too well. The piano playing wasn't that good to start with, but after the bridge when Brooke started shaking and bumped the song tempo up a good 6 bps I couldn't bear to look at the TV. It was like watching that scene in Escape To Victory, the soccer movie with Pele, Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine, when they had to break the goalie's leg so Sly could travel with the team of P.O.W.s and lead them to freedom through the Nazi's drained swimming pool (It is a great movie by the way). You know what is going to happen when they prop that poor goalie's leg up between two boards but you just can't bear to watch it. I actually think Brooke's performance was worse.

Speaking of bad, David Cook once again turned in a low-in-his-register first verse of a song that sounded like poop in a blender. He then butt-rocked his way through the first chorus and then sang power notes over the professional background singers singing the second chorus by themselves. I didn't like it at all. Then the judges thought it was awesome and then Davy pulled a "Hillary Clinton" (as Mrs. Commish said) and pretended to get all emotional after the judges comments. I am over this dude and hope he doesn't win.

Speaking of being over something, during Archie's performance last night I officially announced that I was over his voice. He has a really nice voice and I like his different approach to his little tricks and runs, but I am just plain bored of it. He needs to shake things up a bit and sing something totally against the grain - like a Marilyn Manson song.

Speaking of Marilyn Manson, Carly still looks freaky when she sings. I wonder who finds such freaky facial expressions attractive - Oh, I know - the guy that has his body covered in tattoos and piercings.

Speaking of piercing, Syesha just can't seem to land a big note and it kind of hurts.

Speaking of hurting, those girls must be pained that Kristy Lee Cook - who was at the bottom of everyone's list long before the final 12 - was arguably the best female. I say arguably because I don't think that Carly did a bad job - but Kristy actually sounded the best that I think she has ever sounded on this show.

Speaking of this show, Jason Castro was on it last night. He did a decent job which led to the first ever coherent/quasi-funny comeback that Paula has ever said about a Luau.

Speaking of the first ever coherent/quasi-funny thing that Paula said, the moment was quickly spoiled as she began rambling about beef and poi. Sometimes it is best to just shut up - but Paula is never one to miss an opportunity to sound like a lunatic.

Speaking of missing something, we miss Johnsie (which is a much better nickname than MJ).

30 comments:

IDOL said...

From ProfB


Carly 7
Brooke 4
Jason 4

Kristy gets a pass this week, thanks to another surprisingly good performance. Zzzz.

Zebra Fight said...

10. Brooke
3. Carly
2. Syesha

Seacrest Out! said...

SANJAYA ROCKS is vacationing in some tropical environment...and wants me to post:

Brooke White - 5
Syesha - 5
Carly - 5

Leftcoaster said...

i had to rely on my wife's commentary of last night as i missed the show... i hope she hadn't been drinking.

6 - Carly
5 - Brooke
4 - Syesha

Melissa Broadwell said...

11-Brooke
2-Syesha
2-Carly

Team Shivers said...

6. Syesha
5. Brooke
4. Carly

Seacrest Out! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
profB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
profB said...

The Learned Professor additionally says:

Mariah must have graduated from the Paula Abdul school of rhetoric, so insipid were her comments last evening. But, she imbues Paula's tried and sloshed formula with an extra dollop of 'skank.' Tube-top-o-rama!

Syesha was good--not great, but good. Brooke was awful--and it was like that 'breaking the leg' scene! Oof. Archie is getting boring, but I thought Cook's performance was better than the Commish did (perhaps he has some personal issues with Mr. Cook, they looking so much alike . . .). The prof did not enjoy Jason Castro's performance, not one little bit. Carly still looks like she's about to pop every time she sings. Oh, well--at least they didn't do Shout to the Lord again.

Eager to see my peeps next week!

Amightywin! said...

6-Carly
5-Syesha
4-Brooke

The Dahlgrens said...

7-Carly
6-Syesha
2-Brooke

Thaddeus Glapp said...

Syesha-7
Kristy-5
Brooke-3

Bessie Moo said...

David Archuleta bored me to tears. He's good... but whoop de do. I agree - shake it up a little, Archie!

Carly was good, but this was one instance where I think she could've left the melody alone and just wailed and it would've been better.

Syesha was out of tune... and MC sang this song PERFECTLY on her album. I was a fan back then and the version is burned into my memory so it was hard to enjoy. I'm sure to the average listener it was ok, though.

Brooke was painful in every way possible. I thought she was going to have a seizure halfway through the song. Ugh. It was horrible. It would not hurt my feelings at all if she went home tonight.

Kristy Lee gets better each week, which is shocking to me.

David Cook let me down BIG TIME. just when I thought he was all that, he gave 2 bad weeks in a row. He needed to raise that song a notch or two and maybe, just MAYBE he would've stayed in tune. The arrangement needs some tweaking in order to be a hit, too.

I love Jason. What he did wasn't anything vocally amazing... but it was him and it was cool and I liked it.

Oh, and I really thought Mariah was a great Mentor. I wasn't expecting that at all. She gave some solid advice. Kudos.

Anyway, here are my picks.

6-Brooke
5-Syesha
4-Carly

Seacrest Out! said...

7 - Carly
7 - Brooke
1 - Syesha

The PaulaTics said...

8. Carly
5. Syesha
2. Brooke

Team Hasselhoff said...

the assessment of david cook is perfect. i couldn't believe the judges responses, and assumed they must have heard something different in the room. we have no choice but to risk big here because it couldn't get any worse for us...

13 carly
1 brooke
1 syesha

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Team35 posting, since Mr. was out of the country last night ...

8. Carly
5. Brooke
2. Syesha - I hate to put her on the list, since I loved her performance and want to give her extra credit for singing one of my favorite songs from 8th grade, but people don't seem to like her much.

Unknown said...

6 Brooke
6 Carly
3 Syesha

TJ Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Adkison said...

Never mind about my text, Commish - I thought the show came on at 7, but I see it's not til 8:00.

10 Carly
4 Syesha
1 Brooke

Yo-Yo Dawg said...

7- carly
7- brooke
1 syesha

TJ Smith said...

am actually surprised to hear that other people didn’t like David Cook's performance! I thought I was having an Emperor’s new clothes moment last night and had to get with the program. The Mr. liked it more than me and said that DC really had his “formula” down. Very true. Part of me liked it and the other part was scared when he sang it…especially the look in his eyes when he sang “you can’t escape me” …kind of creepy and stalkerish. It was indeed haunting like Mariah said..

I thought Jason did well and I liked the way he laughed in Randy’s face at the Luau comment. What a guy. Mr. IdolSmith said he would have liked it better without the bongo beat. That surprised me since he is always listening to Latin music, but he's more of a salsa guy, I guess.

Okay, Mr. IdolSmith is back in a gambling mood and I can’t stop him.. What do we have to lose - a couple hops to the end of the line?

13 Brooke
1 Syesha
1 Carly

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:12:00 PM PDT

TJ Smith said...

IdolSmiths want a clarification of what a "butt rocker" is...sounds fitting, but just need a definition please.

R R said...

dang

Zebra Fight said...

Dang is right. I can't decide if I'm more bummed that I didn't get the 10 points I was hoping for or that I have to endure another week of Brooke's need to respond to every word anyone says within a hundred feet of her. Bleh.

TJ Smith said...

Another question, but this is one is for profb..I'm not trying to start anything or nothing, but why did you not enjoy Jason's performance "not one little bit"? I'm just curious..but go easy on my boy now, cuz Mama can be fiesty...

Bessie Moo said...

Ditto what Zebra Fight said. That is exactly what irks me the most about Brooke. And her speaking voice is so grating, too. I believe she may have been the inspiration for Frank Peretti's Piercing the Darkness.

IDOL said...

From the Indiananans before the results last night ...

7. Brooke
5. Carly
3. Syesha

profB said...

No, you don't wanna start nothin' with prof B . . . lol.

I thought it sounded whiny. Part of it was that songs, which is whiny--part of it was him. He has two modes--that cool Kenny Loggins-meets-Matt Kearney kinda vibe, and whiny. This was whiny.

Zebra Bite is right, although I'm surprised they didn't say something hateful about Syesha, since they are racist.

TJ Smith said...

Profb, you should listen to the studio version of "I Don't Wanna Cry" -its better than the live version and I'm not just saying that..spend the .99 and you'll see..