Tuesday, February 26, 2008

TOP 10 GIRLS (Week 2)

Rank these girls 1-10 giving 10 points to the contestant you think is MOST LIKELY to be voted off. Picks should be in by 7PM CST Wednesday night.

We sadly have to say goodbye to Amy Davis and Joanne Borgella. I heard an interview with Joanne in which she said that she just felt honored to be in the top 24 on the year with the most amazing vocal talent. I am sorry Joanne, I might have believed that two weeks ago but after hearing everyone sing I am not convinced that the vocal talent is any better than other years. I think Lisa Leuchner was a better vocalist than most of the girls this year - and she didn't even make it to the final 24 of Season 3. But whatever makes you feel better.

Now on to our top 10 girls.

ALAINA WHITAKER
I think it is fair to say that Alaina was the Jason Castro surprise of the girls show last week. There were so many other blondes that were supposed to be better, but she left them in the dust. That being said, her performance wasn't amazing - just much better than expected. Now that we are expecting more, I will be interested to see how she holds up.

ALEXANDREA LUSHINGTON
I am still not sure how to pronounce her name. I liked her performance last week because she is fun to watch. However, I honestly thought her voice was about as strong as Betty White in an arm-wrestling match. One of these weeks she is going to do a standing at the mic vocal performance and it will kill her.

AMANDA OVERMYER
I think Amanda kicked some a$$ last week. I also think the stylists did a good job with her. They changed her look from scary to just unapproachable. The judges were right in saying she will have a hard time singing other styles - but that is not Amanda's fault. I am sure Janis Joplin was never forced to sing with a different voice. That is the problem - they want you to be authentic, but not authentic enough that you can't sell out and sing a Wilson Phillips song. But this week is 70s week - so Amanda should be fine.

ASIA'H EPPERSON
Asia'h did a good job last week. I was still bothered by her tendency to leave out beginning consonants. I believe last week was "Ache another little eece of my art now baby". Maybe nobody else notices it, but as a lyricist - I would be worried that she is actually trying to re-write parts of the song. It is good to see someone so comfortable on stage, though.

BROOKE WHITE
I feel bad about making this comparison, but I am beginning to think that Brooke is this year's Haley Scarnato. No - I don't think Brooke is going to start dressing like Daisy Duke. I do think that Brooke is just trying too hard performance-wise. Scarnato was always laboring to look like she was comfortable performing (or she was just an awkward performer). The moments when Brooke put both hands on her head during last week's performance to act like she was "into it" looked totally uncomfortable to me. It was honestly a bit hard to watch. That is sad, because she is much more likable than Hotpants Scarnato.

CARLY SMITHSON
I really had high hopes for Carly. She has moments of greatness. None of those moments were included in her performance last week as far as I am concerned. Who knows? Maybe a healthy Carly can restore my faith in her this week. I keep hoping for a Kelly Clarkson-esque makeover from the style folks but it just isn't happening.

KADY MALLOY
After watching Kady's reactions to the judges comments, I realized that I had seen her before. She was every girl in High School that I was glad not to be dating - regardless of how attractive they might be. She is the kind of girl who makes that entitled pouty face whenever her boyfriend says he's going out with the boys - and then starts talking in the high-pitch whiny nag voice trying to sweet talk with stupid pet names like "sugar muffin" or something like that. No thank you.


KRISTY LEE COOK

I learned a couple of things from KKKristy's performance last week. I learned why her record on Capitol was never released and that there isn't much truth to the rumors of AI picking professionals that they wanted to sign anyways. She just wasn't that good. Of course it could have been the flu.

RAMIELE MALUBAY
The judges really liked this pretty midget. I thought she was OK but I kept getting distracted by her Billy Idol lip curls. I would place her among the girls right where I would place David Cook among the boys. It looks like they have the same hair as well.

SYESHA MERCADO
I didn't think her voice was so awesome last week, but it didn't seem to matter. She was confident, looked good on camera and acted like she was a professional. It is hard not to like her but her imperfect vocals solidified my original thought that she will only go so far.

19 comments:

Julie Adkison said...

My favorite quote: (in reference to Amanda Overmeyer's appearance) "They changed her look from scary to just unapproachable." Dying laughing!

Here are our slightly more educated guesses:

10 Kady Malloy
09 Brooke White
08 Kristy Lee Cook
07 Ramiel Malubay
06 Alexandrea Lushington
05 Alaina Whitaker
04 Amanda Overmeyer
03 Syesha Mercado
02 Asia'h Epperson
01 Carly Smithson

Thaddeus Glapp said...

10-Kady
9-Kristy
8-Alexandrea
7-Brooke
6-Alaina
5-Amanda
4-Carly
3-Asia'h
2-Ramiele
1-Syesha

profB said...

10- Kady (good riddance! And she's definitely both the pretty girl whose drama you were so glad you didn't have to deal with and the little princess who's never been told 'no.')
9- Kristy Lee Cook [maybe she rebounds this week?]
8- Brooke (also agree her days are numbered--but surely she can find a Fleetwood Mac song to work a little magic on?)
7- Amanda [she annoys the crap outta me]
6- Carly [she bores the crap outta me]
5- Alaina
4- Alexandrea (I agree she's gonna run into a week she can't live up to vocally--but with all of the Stevie Wonder and Earth Wind & Fire material she could do, this won't be the week)
3- Ramiele
2- Asia'h
1- Syesha [there are too many soulful singers in this bunch, but I'm betting America weeds out the middling blond white girls first--then the sistas start dropping]

Melissa Broadwell said...

10. Kady
9. Kristy Lee
8. Brooke
7. Amanda
6. Alexandrea
5. Alaina
4. Carly
3. Asia'h
2. Ramiele
1.Syesha

Melissa Broadwell said...

10. Kady
9. Kristy Lee
8. Brooke
7. Amanda
6. Alexandrea
5. Alaina
4. Carly
3. Asia'h
2. Ramiele
1.Syesha

Bessie Moo said...

Observations:

Danny Noriega looks just like Jassica Alba, except more girly.

Michael Johns looks like Tim Daly from Wings.

Robbie Carrico looked like he was wearing a wig.

This is hard, because while I think the girls are not too impressive this year, they're all pretty close.

10) Amanda (America is not ready for her)
9) Kady (irritates the crud out of me. Never been told no, for sure.)
8) Kristy Lee Cook (let's see how she does without the flu. Still boring, I'm sure)
7) Brooke White (the head-grabbing thing was too much, fo sho. and the vocals were just not good)
6) Ramiele (average)
5) Alexandrea (did well - I enjoyed her... but will America?)
4) Asai'h (did way better than I expected)
3) Alaina (my fave from last week)
2) Carly (even though I wasn't impressed, other people probably are)
1) Syesha (she acts like a star and so who is America to argue, right?)

Team Shivers said...

10 Kady Malloy
9 Brooke White
8 Kristy Lee Cook
7 Alexandrea Lushington
6 Amanda Overmyer
5 Alaina Whitaker
4 Ramiele Malubay
3 Syesha Mercado
2 Carly Smithson
1 Asaia'h Epperson

Seacrest Out! said...

THIS is AMERICAN IDOL.

10- Kady Malloy
9 - Alexandria Lushington
8 - Kristy Lee Cook
7 - Alaina Whitaker
6 - Brooke White
5 - Amanda Overmyer
4- Asia'h Epperson
3 - Ramiele Malubay
2 - Carly Smithson
1 - Syesha Mercado

Team Hasselhoff said...

10 Kadu
9 Brooke
8 Amanda
7 Kristy Lee
6 Alaina
5 Alexandrea
4 Asaiah
3 Carly
2 Ramiele
1 Syesha

Team Hasselhoff said...

Please excuse spelibg on a handheld

The Indiananans said...

10-Kady Malloy
9-Brooke white
8-Kristy Lee Cook
7-Carly Smithson
6-Alexandrea Lushington
5-Alaina Whitaker
4-Amanda Overmeyer minus the choker
3-Asia'h Epperson
2-Syesha Mercado
1-Ramiele Malubay

The PaulaTics said...

Hmm. 70s night. Here are a few things I think will happen.

Carly will sing a Heart song.

Brooke will sing a Carly Simon song.

Amanda will sing a song by some male band like Skynnrd or Kansas.

10. Kady Whiny baby
9. Alexandrea Suspenders
8. KKKristy
7. Amanda Overbearing
6. Brooke Earrings
5. Alaina Whitegirl
4. Ramiele Midgetbay
3. Asia'h Upyoursson
2. Carly Tattoo
1. Syesha Merketable

The Dahlgrens said...

10. Kady
9. Brooke
8. Carly
7. Amanda
6. Kristy
5. Syesha
4. Alaina
3. Alexandrea
2..Asia'h
1. Ramiele

R R said...

10- Kady Malloy
9 - Alexandria Lushington
8 - Kristy Lee Cook
7 - Brooke White
6 - Amanda Overmyer
5 - Asia'h Epperson
4- Carly Smithson
3 - Alaina Whitaker
2 - Ramiele Malubay
1 - Syesha Mercado

Zebra Fight said...

10. Kristy Lee Cook
9. Alexandra Lushington
8. Alaina Whitaker
7. Asia'h Epperson
6. Brooke White
5. Amanda Overmyer
4. Carly Smithson
3. Ramiele Malubay
2. Syesha Mercado
1. Kady Malloy

I just closed my eyes and picked 'em. Even so, Zebra Fight will triumph.

Anonymous said...

10. Kady Malloy
9. Alexandrea Lushington
8. Amanda Overmyer
7. Carly Smithson
6. Brooke White
5. Kristy Lee Cook
4. Syesha Mercado
3. Alaina Whitaker
2. Asia'h Epperson
1. Ramiele Malubay

Unknown said...

10. Kristy Lee Cook
9. Alexandrea Lushington
8. Kady Malloy (we happen to like her, okay?!)
7. Brooke White
6. Syesha
5. Asia'h
4. Amanda Overmeyer
3. Alaina
2. Carly
1. Ramiele

IDOL said...

JC Says

1. syesha
2. asia'h
3. Ramiele
4. Carly
5. Brooke
6. Amanda
7. Alaina
8. Kristy
9. Alexandrea
10. Kady

Thaddeus Glapp said...

Ok, team Paulatics prediction is plain creepy.